Sole (pronounced sol-ay) is a Himalayan salt infusion that helps the body detoxify, boost energy, and improve digestion! Himalayan salt comes from natural salt deposits in Pakistan. It contains 84 minerals and no chemical processing (table salt, which gives salt a bad rap, is the result of much chemical processing and refinement).
Most of the health benefits are anecdotal, but current science suggests that the mineral content of Sole can improve hydration, digestion, the body’s natural detoxification processes, energy levels, skin and hair health, and muscle cramps.
To make Sole, you will need:
- a glass jar with a glass or plastic (non-metal!) lid
- 1-2 cups Himalayan pink salt
- filtered water
1. Fill the jar 1/4 of the way with salt.
2. Add filtered water to fill the jar, leaving 1 inch at the top.
3. Put on the lid, shake jar gently, leave overnight.
4. In the morning, if there is still salt at the bottom of the jar the water has absorbed its maximum amount and the Sole is ready to use; if all salt is absorbed, add a little more until water has reached maximum absorption.
5. To use, mix 1 teaspoon Sole in a glass of water and consume each morning on an empty stomach.
Notes: Do not touch the Sole with metal (don’t use a metal spoon to measure it). The mixture can be stored at room temperature and will last indefinitely, as salt is naturally antibacterial and anti-fungal. You may want to start off using less than 1 teaspoon of Sole per glass of water and build up over the course of a few days so you do not have a negative detox reaction (rash or headache).
(Adapted from Wellness Mama)